Saturday 29 November 2014

A new love - Ireland



Two boats to arrive!
I journeyed across many seas and countries to visit the south west corner of Ireland for the first time in September 2014, combined with an exciting-looking workshop run by Pauline Agnew, with teachers including Flora Bowley, Orly Averini and Melinda Cootsona. I could use strings of superlatives to describe both adventures - all I can say is that both the country and workshop exceeded my absolutely wildest expectations, both life-changing, and I came home a different person from the one who had left India to venture here, with a huge list of new friends, and to finally return to Portugal after this amazing summer of discovery and exploration.

Straight from Ryan's Daughter - Inch Beach

Silver and gold

Blue and grey light over the Healy Pass
Forty-five of us like-minded people, plus a few very willing hubbies, congregated in the charming town of Bantry in West Cork.

Bantry House












It would be another understatement to say that we all got on like a whole estate of houses on fire. An amazing creative and friendship-fuelled atmosphere developed very quickly. People came from all four corners of the globe, but in many ways we were as one - the same passions, the same dreams, the same fears and emotions. I made lifelong friendships, one absolute soul mate, and some soon-to-be soulmates, and learnt a huge amount about myself as an artist.

With new best friend, Line
In Flora Bowley's class


Abstract landscapes with Pauline
 I realised that a workshop is far more than a few painting lessons. It is an overwhelming whole body and soul experience, where time stands still. Even now, I can summon up the laughter, the fun and the support which hovered like pink clouds over historic Bantry House, where the workshops were held, and where I had the good fortune to stay. I loved every second - my dream for my own workshops is  to offer my own blend of art, learning, fun and friendship with a very unique programme, accessible to all.









I spent every other free minute and several days at the end, exploring. Ireland is utterly beautiful. The quality of the light is a dreamy blue, the hills and mountains speckled with sunshine and white clouds, which turn out to be very fluffy sheep in their hundreds. I went to Dingle and breathed in the very air and scenery that had entranced me in the film 'Ryan's Daughter'.



 I dipped my car bonnet into the "Ring of Kerry"...enough to know I must return next year to complete the circuit. I saw islands, sparkling reflections, evidence of both a magical Celtic past as well as more shocking reminders of such shameful events as the Potato Famine and its dire consequences. My new friend Line and I walked the streets of Killarney, explored amazing traditional music shops and modern art galleries. ...and everywhere this amazing light from the vast ocean skies, linking past and present, reflecting all in the bays and inlets, silver and gold reflected at day and dusk respectively. I wallowed in this natural beauty. I will return soon.

In the Killarney National Park

No comments:

Post a Comment