Saturday 17 January 2015

Art Workshop Programme

Sometimes, when we have little germs of ideas in our head, they spend some time there - bouncing off each other, feeding, milling about, some not making it, others growing stronger and bigger. Then a bigger idea emerges and these little seedlings all come together. They are ready to emerge into the light of day, for their first airing. Here are those first shoots - my plans for our wonderful workshops!

Welcome to my house and studio

I have decided to publish some of the programme for my art workshops in May and July 2015, so that, if you are trying to make that big decision as to whether to come or not, hopefully this will give you a clearer idea. The course is open to beginners and more advanced artists. My studio is currently being completely redecorated - I will publish photos as soon as possible - but it is huge and will be bright, spacious and colourful. If you are already coming....CAN'T WAIT!!!!

A casa de Linda

The basic objective will be to paint, draw or do whatever your creative force guides you, to learn new ideas and techniques, to gather ideas for enhancing your painting, to gain confidence and to go home feeling that you have not only had a wonderful week in a fascinating country, made new friends, had the support of a loving yet highly motivated group of people and, for me most important of all, that you go home thinking, "I really enjoyed that. I feel so much better about myself as an artist. I love what I have created. I have learnt a lot and I am proud of myself."

Please note:  The May workshop is almost full.


A misty morning from my bedroom


Learning will be, I hope, a delightful mixture of teacher-led activities (which will always be optional so you don't feel either intimidated or, the opposite, that you have done it before), collaborative learning (I am certain you will learn far more from each other than I could ever achieve) and, maybe most significant, what you have learnt about yourself - what motivates you, what makes you afraid, making decisions about the kind of drawing or painting you really want to do, not what books suggest. I want to create a lovely atmosphere, provide lots of different materials, ideas, a gorgeous studio space, a huge art-based library, access to a computer, printer and Wifi, a garden and pool and shady nooks for chilling out (you can all day if you prefer!!), coffee and tea on tap, a refreshing home-made lunch and a spirit of friendship, trust and lots and lots of fun and laughter.

A Romanesque Bridge

Days will always be flexible, but on most days we will meet up in the studio around 9.30 am, chat about the day ahead, allowing people to make their choices. Then, entirely optional as ever, I would like to have about half an hour a day of a type of 'group chat'. I'd like to have a chance to talk about issues that, I am sure, worry us all - topics like fear, our inner critic, procrastination, posting, publicising, how to give and receive critique. I want to tread into those dangerous waters beyond saying "That's lovely" to every picture that is posted in any group online, even more so to each other. We are all learning, from beginners through to advanced, trained students. But the only way to really learn is to happily receive advice and comment. I include myself in the group of 'I know I should welcome critique but I prefer it when people say everything I do is wonderful' group!!!! 

After this, there will be a demonstration of a particular concept or technique - such as the concepts of music and poetry in art, notan and value, collage (my methods of making papers and doing my "secret' collages with a demonstration), ways to gather new ideas, symbol and pattern, colour mapping and time to practise this. This (and the following activities) will all be linked together by a common thread - the aim of attempting to depict and describe your impressions of Portugal - whether it be the people, landscapes, colours, culture, music and dance and so on - in any way, realistic or abstract. You choose. You may prefer to do one large painting, or a series of smaller ones, produce a journal, this will be your choice. My idea is to give MEANING and PURPOSE to all that we are learning but in our highly individualistic way! There may also be guest teachers who will demonstrate their own techniques.


Local church Sao Vicente



Then, still before lunch, over coffee, we will discuss some of the main ideas for the rest of the day - you may chose to do something new, to work upon the Porto theme, go to the local cafe to sketch people, or just to go outside and paint plein air- I want to provide an interesting and stimulating framework for you to make your own decisions. We will wrap up and clean up between 5pm and 6pm. However, I am happy to let anyone who would like to work in the studio either early in the morning, or in the evening, as long as they are happy to organise transport at a late or early hour! 

The Douro valley

This will be assisted by an optional day trip to the wonderful city of Porto, with opportunities to sightsee, shop, tour, and sketch or paint as you wish. You might decide to spend an hour in a cafe sketching the very distinct faces of the people from this area. You might be moved by the evidence of history, particularly the port wine trade. If you opt to visit a wine lodge, I wouldn't bank on too much intense work afterwards, after the free samples of port, that is! There will be other opportunities - an evening visit to our local 'romanesque route', visiting some beautiful old churches, towers and bridges. 

Some of the many links to Porto here:

http://www.gooporto.com\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porto




Link to the "Romanesque Way" in the Lousada area and valley of the River Sousa. We are only an hour's drive from the incredible Douro Valley, a World Heritage site, where vine terraces cover the steep valley walls, and where there is a unique topography and climate.

http://www.rotadoromanico.com

http://www.rotadoromanico.com/vEN/Paginas/Homepage.aspx

The Belem Tower


A huge museum is being built in Lousada - but I am not yet sure of the opening date. We can arrange other trips, too, but I am aware that most people will want to spend as much time as possible in the studio.

I hope, too, that people attending will contribute much in the way of ideas and suggestions - and may even like to give a demonstration of their own speciality. I am a very open person, and I am not, I hope, at all defensive, so please, please feel free to say anything - either before, during or after the workshop. I just want it to be the best workshop EVER !!!

If you would like to come, or would like more information, please read the preceding post on this blog, which gives details of cost, accommodation, flights etc, and email me at ....................................linda.janet.chaves@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment