Sunday 6 April 2014

Paradise Found

When I first looked at my itinerary for the Florida Keys, I did not have high hopes for the island of Islamorada. For one thing, I had never heard of it - being a geographer, I wasn't happy about that. Secondly, I couldn't fathom why the agency suggested I spend more time there than in Key West, which seemed about as cool as you can get. It seemed to be an in-between sort of place - near plenty of more interesting looking locations. How wrong I was!

The glass-bottomed boat
I arrived by way of Key Largo. Decided against wandering the town and opted instead for a visit to a coral reef in a glass-bottomed boat. It was a gorgeous day. The sea was the deepest turquoise blue imaginable, the sky likewise. A healthy number of tourists and I boarded the rather neat-looking  stream-lined craft, so excited. Finally I was going to see a coral reef! Then came the warning. 'We have to warn you that the sea is very rough - in fact it is at the top limit in which we are allowed to sail. If you are prone to sea-sickness we recommend another sailing', came forcefully through the speakers, along with kind offers of anti-sickness medication and various precautions. We all decided to go for it! It was an amazing experience...we got to see the reef, lots of brightly coloured fish and even a shark lurking by some brain coral. But it was incredibly rough, the ship lurched in four directions at the same time, seemingly impossible. We were all sitting looking downwards through the window panes in the hull - it was a very dizzying experience. I have sailed bravely several times in storm force gales across the Bay of Biscay. I have been one of about half a dozen only on a UK-Spain sea crossing who was not violently sick. I have eaten dinner whilst glasses and crockery from the bar have crashed to the floor as the ship confronted giant waves. But I have never felt so queasy as in that glass-bottomed boat...so I was secretly quite glad when we got back after three hours of torture!! I kept looking at other people's faces to see if I was the only stoic on board. Everyone looked VERY pale, some singing and cheering as we disembarked! However, it gave me a burning desire to learn to dive, at least to snorkel. This was uppermost in my mind as I drove over spectacular bridges, the Gulf of Mexico on one side and the Atlantic on the other, both sparking like topaz.




I was to stay at the Postcard Inn. It was like a small resort with apartments facing the beach, simply but beautifully decorated in pastels and seaside style. There were small private beaches, a heated pool, lots of bars, a marina, shops and diving facilities. But what it had above all else, why it seemed like paradise, was atmosphere. Laid back and unpretentious, within an hour I didn't have a care in the world. I walked around in a swimming costume and robe and flip-flops (rare indeed), I went swimming in a warm sea at sunset, tried out snorkelling and have never felt so good or relaxed in my life. I could stay there for a month and not get bored. Only negative - I had signed up for a diving course, but couldn't it as I hadn't had the foresight to bring a doctor's certificate to say I was okay. However, I did get to overcome one huge fear! I actually put on a wetsuit!!! I hadn't realised...instead of looking like a beached whale, because it is close fitting and tight, I actually looked a stone lighter!! Wow!!! Wish I could wear one to the local Mall! That would show the snotty shop assistants as they tell me with a smirk they don't have that outfit in a an XL......

I don't think I have ever been more reluctant to leave anywhere - but I pressed on to Key West. Another great, great place. I felt as if I was Bob Marley, so laid-back and hung out. Lunched at the Hard Rock Cafe, saw the town from a very expensive Pedicab, enjoyed to the maximum the 'Silver Palms' hotel and loved, loved it. I could, without a doubt, live on the Florida Keys...as long as I could make a quick getaway from an approaching hurricane! The wildlife was stunning, the whole area just gorgeous and unforgettable....and I haven't even mentioned the best day of my life....my dolphin encounter...to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment