Friday 4 April 2014

Racing through Mangroves and The Everglades

The rest of my time before I sauntered down to the Florida Keys was spent giving full reign to my passion for wildlife and scenery. Had a wild ride in an airboat through mangrove canals. The driver seemed to fluctuate wildly between slow, leisurely glides, then, as soon as he spotted a small lake, cackled cruelly and accelerated crazily, culminating in several wheelies, seemingly in ever-decreasing circles, drenching us well and making sure we all grasped that hairline difference between excitement and stark fear!



Another circle and we happened across a family of racoons - clearly with reliable wristwatches as they knew we were coming, and posing happily for us as the driver gave them tidbits. I held my first alligator that day too! Went for a great ride in the afternoon, down more alligator alleys, through the brown swaying emptiness of the Everglades, and a more stately boat trip around the Thousand Islands.



This was noisy. Pelicans? Gulls? No - a coach load of about fifty raucous Colombians got there first. There are the noisiest people I have ever come across. Oblivious of the few other travellers, they conversed loudly and crudely, blocked views, spoke and laughed over the commentary so we couldn't hear a thing - and generally spoilt things for the rest of us. I was glad when we got back...just one of those experiences that ensures the balance of good and bad is kept in equilibrium!

We visited this fascinating but vulnerable island

It didn't matter anyway - the next day, though I didn't know it yet, I was to discover paradise......

No comments:

Post a Comment