Monday 25 March 2013

Last days in Moab

My last few days in Moab were exactly what I was seeking. Hot, scorchingly hot, but full of excitement, adventure and wondrous sites. No photos can accurately show the vastness panorama that is the view from Dead Horse Point - hand up to shield from the sun to gaze upon escarpment upon escarpment in a never ending staircase of time as far as one can see. Look down into fathomless depths of time, see the white rim, entrenchment within entrenchment, gorge within gorge. Twisted pines give shade to lizards and snakes, while tourism is organically controlled and as fully-informative as ever. I wished I were younger and fitter, and could explore the labyrinth of canyons and cracks hidden away in a secret dimension. I could stay there for weeks and still have more to see and explore. My photos were a bit disappointing but the memories are vivid and focused.





On the way to Grand View Point, we passed on to the "Island in the Sky" This, in evolutionary terms, won't exist much longer as the road passes through a narrow isthmus with steep slopes on each side. Nature will, of-course win, and bridges will be built. I stopped at practically every viewpoint in my desperation to see everything, every layer, every nook and cranny. I was intoxicated with the place - just one more view, just one more photo, just one more for the road!


The narrow pass onto the 'Island in the Sky'.




My last park was Arches. I was SO glad I chose to visit at sunset. The park was bathed in golden light and the rocks looked as if they were on fire. I went on a small tour - the guide was brilliant and explained the geology and ecology of the region brilliantly. He encouraged me (not the fittest of souls) to make a real effort and climb up to the last arch as he had timed it to co-incide with sunset. I puffed a bit but made it. I sat alone with my thoughts, a blissful moment. Hard to imagine that my holiday was nearly over.....






 A final jet boat ride up the Colorado and a night time light display on the canyon walls. Time to go home. I absolutely loved every minute of this amazing adventure and can't wait to come back one day.







No comments:

Post a Comment