Tuesday 29 October 2013

Getting going.....home and away

Whilst planning and dreaming of my next holiday - YES, I am going to Florida in the New Year ...hooray, on the road again!!! - I have done quite a few courses recently in my quest to acquire better technique. I know they won't necessarily make me more creative or talented (I wish!) but I do find that they stimulate ideas and give you practice in a very positive learning environment. They get me going...

 My favourite workshops are those of Jane Davies, especially the ones on Composition. She has a wonderfully straightforward, practical way of explaining both her theory and practice, reflecting a vast amount of preparation which she must have done previously. I love her work, too, but don't wish to copy it, and she ensures this by demonstrating a process and then setting guidelines for our subsequent follow up which are flexible and which allow for all of us as individuals to use our own ideas and inspiration . Much more importantly, she gives a kind but meaningful critique with constructive criticism - much better than the gushing sycophancy often found on other courses! This particular course is very similar in any case to what I like doing, so it really appeals. Here are my first attempts from Lesson Two - a fairly basic technique of abstract landscape composition but with some interesting collage elements, too.




As I said, this gets me going. Once in the zone, I can't seem to stop until weariness takes over, and the thought of having to work the next day. I then did a couple of colour studies in my large sketchbook, where I gather ideas for paintings.....




A productive day is a happy day......

No comments:

Post a Comment