Saturday 19 October 2013

Indian Summer

This is what remained after a meal out - of butter curry and naan bread. I can still taste it in all its deliciousness..notice the lack of cutlery, I much prefer eating with my fingers now!
I had a wonderful time in India this summer - I stayed with Anu and family by the backwaters for five idyllic weeks. I miss them still - the days were languid and laughter filled, with plenty of love and hugs. I caught up with all my local bird friends and would still find it very hard to account for how the time passed so quickly. The highlights must be the sari I was given for my birthday, being in the monsoon for the first time, the visit of the Peace Boat from Japan and strolling once again through the streets of Fort Cochin. It's my second home. There just aren't enough weeks in a year to be everywhere I would like to be......
A typical spread - three times a day!

I could easily write a book about my time there - indeed I already have several bulging journals full of photos, drawings and a million memories - so it's almost impossible to select a few to 'represent' my experiences. Bear with me, please. I'll start with the utterly delicious food - Mummy's home cooking, Keralan Syrian Christian backwater style (lots of coconut) but also everywhere you go. I learnt to eat with my fingers this visit - I swear that food tastes MUCH better when eaten this way - somehow you have a closer relationship with it, in all its succulence. It really is finger-licking good.  I also eat more slowly and with great relish. I eat lots, but never feel the need to snack as it is so satisfying, so I always feel healthy, too.

My all-time favourite dessert - Coconut mousse...but I also love payasam and coconut pancakes and banana patties and and and.......
Dhosas for breakfast with Anu!

So I'll end there, with more to come - this has made my mouth water, I've just got to go and eat something!

No comments:

Post a Comment